When I graduated from the University of Florida, my roommate and I, with masking tape, wrote on our cap, LLT4L. Low Life Teacher 4 Life. I don't remember where we picked up the saying exactly but I think someone said to us that we were just going to be "low life teachers." I'm sure the person who said that to us intended to discourage us; we used it as motivation. Somewhere in all our education classes, we realized that we weren't in this for the money. In fact, we weren't ever going to be millionaires AND educators. We didn't blast that to the thousands at graduation because we were jaded. It was who we were. We were going to be low life teachers for life! Oh, to have the mindset of a 21 year old again!
Fast forward 15 years, and I'm still a teacher and I'm still not a millionaire. Looking back on that saying, I was too young and naive to understand the connotations in that loaded statement. I mean....I'm not a low life teacher. (To be fair, High Life Teacher 4 Life just sounds dumb) My hands are full. 5 kids, a dog, both Matt and I working full time and we are constantly spinning plates. Nothing about my life says "low life."
But I get it. I get the sentiment of that statement. Being a teacher is sometimes really hard. Sometimes it's the exact opposite of glamorous. It can be isolating, and exhausting. Some days you feel unappreciated and hold the weight of the world on your shoulders. (Just keeping it real) Sometimes, it really feels like low life.
I recently heard Sir John Jones speak, a lifelong educator, principal and champion of teachers. He called us Magic Weavers. Magic Weavers! I have the possibility of creating magic in my classroom daily in the eyes of a child. If only I would've thought of that when decorating my cap because it's true! What I knew in 2003 is absolutely still true today. I'm not in education because of the accolades that society, administrators or parents will (or will not) bestow on me. I'm not in it for the big bucks. I'm not in it because I have the ability to please every one all the time. Indeed, I may forever be on the bottom rung of society's pay ladder. I may be a low life teacher. BUT, I'm in education for the joy I receive for being in the presence of children every day (even 5th grade ones!). I'm in education because it's 1000 times worth it when you connect with a child over a math problem, a cupcake or through discipling their heart. I'm a teacher because if I'm going to chose to leave the cutest little 5th Douglas girl at home, then I better do that doing something that I love. I am a teacher because that is what God has asked me to do with me life. The hard days are few and far between, and when they come, I remember that there's no place I'd rather be than be a Magic-weaving, Low Life Teacher 4 Life! :)
Fast forward 15 years, and I'm still a teacher and I'm still not a millionaire. Looking back on that saying, I was too young and naive to understand the connotations in that loaded statement. I mean....I'm not a low life teacher. (To be fair, High Life Teacher 4 Life just sounds dumb) My hands are full. 5 kids, a dog, both Matt and I working full time and we are constantly spinning plates. Nothing about my life says "low life."
But I get it. I get the sentiment of that statement. Being a teacher is sometimes really hard. Sometimes it's the exact opposite of glamorous. It can be isolating, and exhausting. Some days you feel unappreciated and hold the weight of the world on your shoulders. (Just keeping it real) Sometimes, it really feels like low life.
I recently heard Sir John Jones speak, a lifelong educator, principal and champion of teachers. He called us Magic Weavers. Magic Weavers! I have the possibility of creating magic in my classroom daily in the eyes of a child. If only I would've thought of that when decorating my cap because it's true! What I knew in 2003 is absolutely still true today. I'm not in education because of the accolades that society, administrators or parents will (or will not) bestow on me. I'm not in it for the big bucks. I'm not in it because I have the ability to please every one all the time. Indeed, I may forever be on the bottom rung of society's pay ladder. I may be a low life teacher. BUT, I'm in education for the joy I receive for being in the presence of children every day (even 5th grade ones!). I'm in education because it's 1000 times worth it when you connect with a child over a math problem, a cupcake or through discipling their heart. I'm a teacher because if I'm going to chose to leave the cutest little 5th Douglas girl at home, then I better do that doing something that I love. I am a teacher because that is what God has asked me to do with me life. The hard days are few and far between, and when they come, I remember that there's no place I'd rather be than be a Magic-weaving, Low Life Teacher 4 Life! :)
Comments
Post a Comment